Question
Posted by: Chantel | 2004/11/05

Flying oversee

I have barlosindrome and would like to know if there is going to be any problem with the flying. what must I do before and after.
I'm scared that I do the wrong thing.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Chantel,
Barlow's syndrome (often called Floppy Mitral Valve Syndrome) can have several causes, some of which are no problem to a young and otherwise healthy person. In the future, you will need to be checked regularly by your cardiologist, who will monitor your symptoms, murmur, possible development of an irregular heartbeat and possible leaking of your mitral valve. Please note that none of these complications will definitely happen to you, but you would be wise to be checked regularly in case they do develope, so that you can get early treatment, and keep yourself in the best possible health.

Flying should present no problems. Remember to keep your legs and feet moving occasionally even while you are sitting, and try to get out of your seat and walk a few steps from time to time if your are on a long flight. This all helps to keep your circulation going.

Enjoy your trip.

HeartDoc