Question
Posted by: nandi | 2004/10/28

flying during your first trimester

Hi I´m still in that "grey" area were I´m not able to see anything on the scan but the doctor predicts I´m about 5 weeks pregnant. The thing is, we live abroad and we have booked our tickets to go to SA on the 14th of Nov a 6 hour flight. Is it safe to fly?

I agree with Purple.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/29

Yes its safe to fly, however, you are at increased risk of DVT (deep vein thrombosis), as you are for sitting for extended periods whether at your desk or in a car.

You need to ensure that you get up and walk around/do your exercises often. As you will keep needing to leap up for the loo, this shouldn't be a problem.

The only reason airlines like you to stop flying from about 34 weeks onwards is that if you go into labour and something goes wrong, it puts them at huge risk.

Flying won't cause a miscarriage or anything like that.

Something I found when flying in the first trimester is that because you've got incrased mucous in your nose and sinuses, my ears blocked up terribly and it tooks days after the flight for them to come right again.

Reply to Purple