Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2004/11/19

Flying and cats

Hi, I am moving soon, and will need to fly my cat down to PE. (About 1.5 hour flight). Should I be giving her tranquelisers? She gets stressed very quickly, and cannot even consider putting her in a car for the trip. (She is 6 years old)
Thank you!

Hi Liezl
If you fly your cat it is best to go through a pet travel company who will do all the necessary tranquilising and provide the correct crate. You can start preparing for the flight a few days beforehand by giving Valerian, Rescue Remedy or other Bach Flower Remedies according to your vet's recommendations.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/11/22

Hi Liezl

I flew my cat down from Durban to CTN. Once you book her ticket (they travel in the cargo section of the plane (not with the boxes, suitcases, etc, but a specially demarcated area for live animals), the airline will advise you of how to "pack" her. The best cage would be a proper cat travel box (with a smallish blanket) - they prefer it if you can lock it with a tiny padlock - and you can collect the tranquilizer from your vet (it's a small tablet you give them an hour or so before the flight). When you book in at the airport, an attendant will come and fetch your pet and take him/her to be loaded (they have someone watching over them during the flight) and once you have landed, your pet is delivered to you in the terminal by another attendant. My cat was slightly "out of it" for a couple of hours afterwards, but once she had fully recovered, she was back to her old self again (no signs of stress). Oh, before I forget, you have to have their vaccination card up to date, otherwise she will not be allowed to travel.

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/19

Contact the airline well ahead of time - they have their own requirements re boxing and tranquillising. Also, check the yellow pages for an animal travel company, they should also be able to advise you - as indeed will your vet.

Reply to Chill