Question
Posted by: caddy | 2004/10/23

flushed cheeks

hi doc, i am on the pill (yasmin) but the problem started way before then, i think after i first started using topical medication for pimples such as NeoMedral. i am also an astmatic so i use an asthma pump before i go to aerobics (so i use it once a day). i have noticed that this flush occurs mostly when im in lecture theatres the bright artificial lighting seems to make my skin feel uncomfortable. also, if i blush, my cheeks will stay red even afterward and become hot and uncomfortable. i have had my thyroid checked (about 2 yrs ago in an unrelated problem) but no problems were found, i have not had my blood sugar level or blood pressure checked. Should i do so?

Caddy, having your blood pressure and sugar checked can’t do harm. It is very difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you. I can’t thing of anything serious that might cause your symptoms, but it might be due to something weird like a physical allergy or a blood vessel instability. I suppose I can start guessing and suggest all kinds of remedies, but the best would be to see a dermatologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.