Question
Posted by: opal | 2004/01/20

fluoxetine effectivity

Hello everyone!
I am 31 weeks pregnant and on a maintenance dose of Lilly Fluoxetine of 20mg a day.Recently I opted for Lorien (also 20mg) as it had the same active ingredient and seemed a bit cheaper.
What I would like to know is is there a difference between the effectivity of different brands? The reason I ask is that Ive started having a bit of emotional outbreaks at home and at work.
Is it because of the change in the brand...or does it just coincide with the stage of pregnancy that I am in?
Coincedently it has been very busy at work the last while(we are understaffed) and I havent had a day off in more than 3 weeks in a seven day optometric parctice.
Thank you very much.

Dear opal,
A very perceptive question. The extra emotionality is most probably due to the hormonal flux of pregnancy, and maybe all the hard work ! By law, any company which wants to manufacture and sell a generic version of an already known drug, has to produce scientific evidence that their product is biologically equivalent to the standard version. In other words, to establish that it's the same active chemical, in the same concentration, which ought to dissolve at the same speed, et absorbed the same, and so on. Occasionally, there might be very minor differences where there's some difference in how tightly the tablet is packed, etc., but such differences ought to be trivial. I have noticed, however, in someone used to citalopram ( a relative of Fluoxetine ) as the brand-name Cipramil, that they seem to be doing better since switching to the cheaper generic version Cilift.