Question
Posted by: Ann | 2007/11/29

Fluid on the knee causing intense pain

My daughter recently experienced severe pain in her knee and was forced to use crutches due to the pain. She is 32 and slim. At the time the doctor drained fluid from the knee and things went back to normal. Today which is just about only a week and a half later this has re-occurred again with intense pain with the doctor having to drain the knee again. Can you say what is causing this condition and what she can do to preven it from happening again? She has been for a MRI scan and Xrays and all is clear. She has also had some blood tests done, also indicating that nothing is wrong.

Hallo Ann
She probably has a sinovitis, an inflammation of the lining of the knee joint - the sinovium makes excess fluid as a result of the inflammation ( called an effusion) - this can be due to an injury, gout, auto-immune arthritis and a host of other infections. I am sure her doctor will work through the list to try and identify the cause.
Is she wearing a Robert Jones dressing? (A Robert Jones dressing is a crepe bandage and orthopedic cottonwool put on in a certain way to keep the knee still without immobilizing it totally, as this could cause stiffness of the joint)This usually helps for the pain and swelling.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Ann | 2007/11/30

Many thanks for the reply. I have passed the information on to my daughter.

Reply to Ann