Question
Posted by: H. Lanya | 2004/03/04

Flu Charges

Morning Doc,

I am shocked at my claim statement which my Doctor charged me for a medical.

The whole bill equaled 518.79 for a single consultation

he gave me a Cough mixture, Ascorbic acid, multivitamins, Betamox, Sinuend, Myprodol, Septadine (Oral Antiseptic)

He did not perform any tests on me except the mouth check for throat infections, and i had a general flu and felt like seeing a doctor

this time and not go straight to the chemist which is a tradition of mine.

I know doctors can charge medical aid rates or private rates but this is too much.

How accurate might his fees be in this regard.

Shocked.

H. Lanya

Expert ImageArchive

Hi H Lanya,

Thanks for calling me a doc - unfortuantely I am not one, only interested in financial matters.

The bill is expensive, the tariffs and prices of medicines are generally governed by theprofessional bodies that your doctor subscribes to so if you received the same set of goods from another doctor that dispenses medicines then you are likely to get a similar bill.You will find that the bulk of the cost is related to your medicines which is quite a lengthy list (seven and at an average of only R50 is R350 alone), it is certainly not my role to question the appropriateness or otherwise. If you are in any doubt you might consider contacting the professional body directly.

Most doctors do provide a cash discount if you pay immediately, check that this came through. You also have the right to change your doctor if you do not believe that you are getting the best value for money.

5
Posted by: Tony | 2004/03/24

My wife recently went for a consultation to a female gynaecologist for a consult for which she was charged an fee of R800 for which the medical aid rate is R380,which includes a scan and a pap smeer.This is a rip off.Female gynaecologists rip there patients because there are not many around,thus the rip off.Watch out ladies.

Reply to Tony
Posted by: Redcastle | 2004/03/13

HI, I work for a pharmaceutical distributor, I have noted the charges with interest and intrigue, Our company sells all these items to the Medical profession at the following prices INCL of Vat - you make your own deductions.........

1. Cough Mixt 100 ml DPH R3.50
2. Ascorbic Acid tabs 1000's R90.00
3. Multivitamins 1000's R23.00
4. Betamox tabs 250 mg 500's R180.00
5. Sinuend tabs 20's R7.00
6. Myprodol caps 30's R55.00
7. Septadine oral antiseptic 200 ml R18.00

Reply to Redcastle
Posted by: REDCASTLE | 2004/03/13

HI, I work for a pharmaceutical distributor, i have noted the charges with interest and intrigue, Our company sells all these items to the Medical profession at the following prices INCL of Vat - you make your own deductions.........
1.Cough Mixt 100 ml DPH R3.50
2.Ascorbic Acid tabs 1000's R90.00
3.Multivitamins 1000's R23.00
4.Betamox tabs 250mg 500's R180.00
5.Sinuend tabs 20's R7.00
6.

Reply to REDCASTLE
Posted by: REDCASTLE | 2004/03/13

1.Cough Mixt 100 ml DPH R3.50
2.Ascorbic Acid tabs 1000's R90.00
3.Multivitamins 1000's R23.00
4.Betamox tabs 250mg 500's R180.00
5.Sinuend tabs 20's R7.00
6.

Reply to REDCASTLE
Posted by: REDCASTLE | 2004/03/13

1.Cough Mixt 100 ml DPH R3.50
2.Ascorbic Acid tabs 1000's R90.00
3.Multivitamins 1000's R23.00
4.Betamox tabs 250mg 500's R180.00
5.Sinuend tabs 20's R7.00
6.

Reply to REDCASTLE