Question
Posted by: Henry | 2004/11/08

Flies biting our Labrador's ears

Please help me!
The flies our sucking the blood out of our Labrador's ears. Some of them die on his ears. I've mixed "bloekom olie" with vaseline and put that on, put the flies just keep coming. How can I keep the flies away from the dog.

There are specialised products available from your veterinarian for this problem. They can be very effective. Also make sure that the area is clean and all droppings are picked up to avoid attracting flies.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Henry | 2004/11/11

Reply to Henry
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/09

Hi Henry

This is an extract of a posting on TheWorld website. I also use this stuff and it works wonders. Try your vet. I also used a product called Fly Away that I bought at my Vet. The thing with any of these products is that you have to use it often, flies don't go away.

"Before your dog's ears become raw and bloody treat with Benzyl Benzoate twice per week throughout the spring/summer. Just rub into the ear flap, inside and out, paying particular attention to the tips in prick-eared dogs and you won't have any problems. Don't let the medication enter the ear canal. Keeps the flies off and will heal any wounds already evident and being spirit based it will be dry in a few minutes.

Costs about R30.00 for 500ml from your vet (he'll probably have to order it for you) and this quantity will last you all year. Better and cheaper than any proprietary fly ointment (axle grease).

Just make sure you wash your hands well after handling Benzyl Benzoate."

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/09

Use Tabard or Peaceful Sleep, or Mylol. You'll have to apply it quite often. Use the stick or liquid versions, not the aerosol

Are the dog's ears infected or bloody for some reason? if so, treat the underlying cause. And don't put the above repellents directly onto wounds, if there are any, just on the healthy bits.

Reply to Chill