Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/02/04

Fleas!

Dear Cybervet and forum members,

I have two Jack Russells who recently became infected with fleas when a family member's dog visited us. Now I can't get rid of the fleas. It's the first time ever my dogs have had a flea infection and I've tried several products to no avail. I've tried the liquid that you put on a spot on their backs, flea powder and even pills from my vet. But still they have them! What should I do? Any help will be appreciated.

Emma

YOu will need to treat the anuimals and the environment. When treating the animals use an adulticide as well as a longer acting remedy that inferes with the reproductive cycle. Also vacuum your house regularly and use a flea product in the vacuum cleaner to kill all the immatures that "hatch" in the vacuum cleaner.

3
Posted by: Jo | 2008/02/05

How do you treat fleas outside??

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Chill | 2008/02/04

Frontline is fine - but do NOT bathe your dogs before or after using it, since that will render it useless.

Get the Frontline things that you just put on the back of the next, and at the same time, get two doses each of Capstar tablets. Give one tablet at the time you put the frontline on, and the other about a week to ten days later.

If you prefer Advantage to Frontline, that works just as well. All of the above are availabe from your vet.

Oh, and bad news. You'll have to do some serious vacuuming of carpets etc during this whole business, or the eggs there will hatch out and start the whole thing up all over again.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/02/04

Not sure if you have tried this one, but I find that Frontline works very well. You also just spray on the back of their necks, above their tail, and in their 'armpits'. I also spray on the back from tail to neck and lift the hair as I am spraying so the spray can go under the hair not just on the surface. You should treat their bedding, and where ever they are during the day as the eggs fall off them and hatch and infect the dogs all over again. Bathing them in flea and tick shampoo together with using Frontline will work well also.

Good luck, getting rid of fleas can be a real pain in the butt and I hope you get rid of them soon.

Reply to Sindi