Question
Posted by: ally | 2004/12/07

Flea Infesatation

Please I am desperate our dog is an adult pavement special (cross between a maltese and I have no idea what )he is 8 years old and has long shag hair when not inundated with flea allergies. He has always had a skin allergy and in summer it gets progressively worse to the extent where he bites his skin leaving balding bleeding patches. He is terribly allergic to fleas and I am as well. Please could you recommend a treatment for the dog that is inexpensive(We have tried most treatments as well as washing the dog with rosemary and even jeyes fluid) as well as something that I can use to kill the fleas in my flea infested carpets.Please i am desperate for help as my dog and I are being eaten alive

Firstly, Jeyes fluid is poisonous to your dog and could kill it. If you read the instructions it will definitely not indicate that it is for use on your animals, in fact it will probably state that it should be kept far away from any animal contact. These instructions are therefore a reason, only animal product should be used on animals, otherwise it could result in death.

There is no easy solution for fleas, but they are very good products available from your veterinarian. These products, although more costly are highly effective and highly safe. They are only available from your veterinarian, for good reason. Please pop in to your local vet and ask them for an effective flea product. Your house and carpets can also be treated with anti-fleas spray available from your veterinarian and often from the supermarkets.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/12/08

If you've tried almost everything, then I'm not sure what to suggest. For now you can get capstar from your vet - it will kill the fleas on the dog. After that you can buy program and keep him on it year round, but you have to kill all the fleas in the house or they'll just re-infest. You can get program at Dischem as well.

A while ago somebody said that spreading salt on the carpets would kill extant fleas. Give it a try - its relatively cheap and you won't lose much if it fails.

Reply to Acineth