Question
Posted by: Maxi | 2007/12/12

Flea allergy

I have a six month old Maltese and a one year old Chihuahua. My Chihuahua is suffering terribly from a flea allergy (I think). He is losing his fur, scratching constantly and seems distressed. I bath and dip him regularly, use flea powder and Frontline. Just to visit a vet costs the earth, so if anyone here knows of any remedies/products that I can use I would be very grateful. Thanks

Please remember that fleas are not the only cause of itching. It is best to have the dog examined by your vet to find the cause and treat it specifically. That route usually costs less that trying all sorts of remedies and then having to resort to going to the vet.

2
Posted by: JC | 2007/12/13

Hi Maxi.

I had a similiar problem with my Lad last year. She seemed to have picked up a lot of sand fleas from playing the yard!

For the fleas, I used the Frontline drops, religously every 3 weeks. The vet also advised that it's OK to top up every week with the Frontline spray. I also bathed her every week, with a shampoo for sensitive skin, hypoallergenic, and for fleas, which was about R100 at the vet. I also gave her a course of anti flea tablets, also from the vet, which cauased the fleas to die, and then just fall off. I gave that to her, and then wash her the next day, and then frontline 2 days later, but kept in inside for the those few days...

However, it only came right after I fumigated her bedding, and my whole house twice (the first times causes the eggs to start coming out).

Hope you come right, but remember you'll need to treat all the animals in your house, till there are no more fleas. Have faith, you will get there!

Reply to JC
Posted by: felicity | 2007/12/12

Use any of you flea remedies every 21 days and maybe see if a short term dose of cortisone won't help to get the current crises under control. Excessive dipping and bathing can also dry out the dogs skin also causing itching. Caution with dips must be take as I know Amitix is containdicated for Chihuahua-check with the vet

Reply to felicity