Question
Posted by: sean | 2004/11/01

flavoured water or supermarket 100%juices

I would like to know which is better for you. I understand that there is no substitute for pure water but which is better for you, Flavoured water or so called fresh blended juices, some of which do have preservatives in as well?

Dear Sean
You can drink either of these products, but keep in mind that fruit juices can be high in energy (check the calorie or kJ content on the label).

1
Posted by: Jack | 2004/11/04

Remember that supermarket fruit juices are all pasteurised, so any notion that they have lots of vitamins should be abandoned. The heating destroys the nutritional value of the fruit.

Most fruit juices have added sweetner, in the form of fructose from deflavoured apple juice, for instance.

As DietDoc mentioned, they're high in energy. Mostly pure carbohydrate, and very little nutrition.

As for flavoured water, well, they use either fructose, or Aspartame to sweeten them. Fructose is not a particularly good sugar if you are on your way to developing diabetes. Aspartame is 10% methanol, which, while it does burn ok in your car's engine, is highly toxic to humans.

As you said, better to stick to pure water.

Reply to Jack