Question
Posted by: Nicka | 2003/01/31

Flatulence

Hi Doc,

What can I take for Flatulence? Other than Peppermint drops (which does help). It is very painful and sometimes I nearly cannot move.

Regards,
Nicka.

Nicka, this is from one of the articles that I wrote on flatulence. If you’re interested in the rest of the article, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.
“Belching, bloating and distension are difficult to relieve because most complaints are due to unconscious swallowing of air or exaggerated sensitivity to normal amounts of gas. Habits that promote excessive salivation like chewing gum and smoking are discouraged. Carbonated drinks and antacids like baking soda should be avoided. Foods containing nonabsorbable carbohydrates (e.g. baked beans) should also be avoided. People with lactase intolerance should avoid dairy products.
Very few well-controlled studies demonstrate clear-cut benefits from any drug. The following drugs have been effective in some patients: Pankreoflat™, Spasmo-canulase™, metoclopramide (Maxolon™, Setin™, etc.) simethicone (Maalox Plus™, Medigel™, etc.). Roughage (bran or psyllium seed) may be added to the diet to try to increase the bowel transit rate, but it may worsen symptoms in some patients.”