Question
Posted by: Des | 2004/10/28

flat stomach, weight<br>

Hi there fitdoc

I am sport, 1.67m tall male, weight 87kgs, age 20, is this good??. I feel fit i can run and stuff but lets face it im not tht fit. I have started this week to train 30-45min cardio everyday. I doo feel great cos i love sweating and sports. I also follow a good diet mus say i cheated one or two times but no harm done:). My problem is that i i have felt a change by my legs thighs etc. but my stomach, chest and lower back are the problem areas, i know after a loong time of training they will go down but is their any other exercises i can do at home to speed up this process??
I do all exercises at home.

It's good that you are doing regular exercise and are looking at getting fit. My advice to anyone is to focus on fitness and to really aim to enjoy the training like you are, and not to get hung up on the details of weight loss and the scale.

Your training so far sounds OK, it's good that you are doing mainly cardio training. This is the focus of your programme if you want to get fit and lose some weight.

As for the problem areas, you are not alone in this problem but you are on the right track. You can perhaps add some specific weight training to target those areas, but remember that you will never be able to 'spot reduce'. That is, The scientific truth is that one cannot "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the following website through the Health 24 site - http://www.health24.com/fitness/Build_muscle_Tone/16-478-504.asp

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!