Question
Posted by: Jane | 2004/10/08

flaky dry skin occurring in patches on face and under arms

In the last 6 months I have developed patches of dry flaky skin on the bridge of my nose and under my arms and at times it can be quite itchy. I also seem to struggle constantly with a sort irritation almost like the start of cold sores on the sides of my mouth, and always seem to have a discolouration of the skin here and on the bridge of my nose. I found that the cream stopitch relieves the itchyness and dryness but hasn't solved the problem. I am on the pill Nordette would this cause the problem? I wash my skin and moisturise regualalry and have strated taking evening primrose oil but problem persists.

Jane, it sounds like it might be due to more than one thing, e.g. eczema and a superficial yeast infection, but I suppose it might also be something like psoriasis. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out because it doesn’t sound like it is going to go away by itself. Good luck.