Question
Posted by: niki | 2005/12/13

flabby tummy

I want to tighten my tummy muscles and build or tone my upper arms as well as some form of exercise for my breasts; I know that exercises for the breasts does not make them smaller after childbirth and breastfeeding, but at least it will help. After the birth of my daughter about 10 months ago, I have been struggling to get back into shape. I have started walking, previously, before the pregnancy, I used to run. I just need some exercises to ease into shaping and toning my body. I have a set of dumbells at home, but i am not exactly sure as to what exercises i can do. Please help?

Hi Niki

The one goal that you can aim for, and, in a manner of speaking, kill many birds with one stone is an overall body fat reduction. This can be achieved by doing regular cardio training. What will not work are hundreds of situps and crunches and dips etc. The problem with these exercises is that they use such a small muscle group in a static activity and therefore burn fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you check out the fitness page of this site, then click on programmes and choose any one of the cardio based programmes on this site.

REgards