Question
Posted by: sunny | 2004/11/15

flab

Hi Fitnessdoc
I work out every day in the gym for a minimum of 60mins and I am steadily losing weight and gaining fitness. However I still have quite a bit of flab under my right armpit which refuses to budge. Oddly enough my left arm seems more toned. What excersises would I need to do to get rid off this unsighty flab? I would love to wear strappy tops during the summer hols.

HI Sunny

A lot of it is just about being patient and realising that you have to continue your good work. The problem that you have is that you can't really tell the body to lose fat only in this area. You can't just do arm exercise on the right arm and expect it to go away, because it's not a question of muscle mass, it's fat. So, what you need is overall body exercise which increase metabolic rate and then cause fat to be burned ALL OVER, including the arms.

Having said this, it may help to do some weight training to aid in toning, because what the muscle will do is add to the definition, creating an appearance of having less fat. For this, my simple advice is that you do the circuit at your gym - it's the most easily laid out, simple way of getting a toning session, and it doesn't detract from your cardio session.