Question
Posted by: FUZZY | 2003/03/19

FIVE HEADED BOIL!

HI DOC,

OUR FAMILY REGULARLY SUFFERS FROM BOILS, MANY FROM IN GROWN HAIRS. MY SISTER IS GOING THROUGH HELL AT THE MOMENT WITH ONE ON HER THIGH. SHE SAYS SHES HAD IT FOR A FEW MONTHS, ITS ALMOST LIKE FIVE BOILS AND WHEN SHE SQUEEZES IT THE PUS IS LIKE STRING AND EVENTUALLY IT BECOMES VERY DARK. IT JUST RECURS. I'VE SUGGESTED THAT SHE SEES OUR GP. CAN YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE? ON THIS ISSUE, FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS I HAVE BEEN USING AN IMPORTED (AND EXPENSIVE) PRODUCT CALLED IN GROW GO - IS THERE NO LOCAL EQUIVALENT? ITS EXPENSIVE BUT ITS BEEN PRICELESS FOR ITS BENEFITS.

THANK YOU!
FUZZY

Fuzzy, boils or furuncles are usually caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus They occur most frequently on the buttocks, breasts, neck and face. They might occur more frequently on the buttocks because the bacterial load is higher there, but it's not a given. They are usually treated with antibiotics (first ointments and then pills).
Usually that is all that needs to be done, but if the ointments/pills don't work the first thing I would do is to send some of the puss away to try and determine the cause of the boils and what the most suitable antibiotic will be. If the boils return again, we will then know that they are new ones and not just the old ones coming back (as we know that we gave the correct antibiotics).
She can then try to prevent them from returning by using chlorhexidine gluconate soap, but usually it's not necessary. We now also need to make sure that there is no problem with her immunity and that there is nothing else wrong with her. We can then start giving preventative antibiotics for up to 6 months. If that doesn’t help, we start all over again because we missed something somewhere. If she’s already been through this process, she will need to find a good dermatologist. Good luck.

I might be able to help if you can let me know what the active ingredient of Grow Go is. Good luck.
PS. Please post your reply as a new question and not below my reply because I won’t get your reply if you do.