Question
Posted by: Yena | 2006/07/26

Fitnessdoc RE answer to 415

I've been weight training a while and find my recovery remarkable compared to the first couple of weeks. I found this answer particularly interesting since I hardly ever get "stiff / sore muscles anymore, and find it almost impossible to obtain the "burn" while training. I adapt the weights that I lift sporadically. If my last repitions become "possible" - I will increase the weights to make it almost 'Impossible" untill my body has adjusted. I've recently found that especially my arms feel stiff the following day when I train my upper body. I never miss a training session and has not dramatically increased my weights. If the muscle becomes stronger, why would I suddenly start having stiff muscles? I can understand that they could be stiff if I changed my routine or increased the weights dramatically, but for my arms that is not the case.

The only dramatic change I've made to my training routine is increasing cardio in running longer distances daily. Could this have an effect?

Dear Yena,

Perhaps the increased cardio workouts (running) could deplete your total available glycogen stores and thereby make your arms work "harder" than normal - even at the same workload. Are you eating enough to sustain your energy levels?

Best Wishes

4
Posted by: The Fitness Doc again | 2006/07/27

Hi Yena

Sorry about having to send a new question in - what actually happens is that I answer the questions on a different site from you eventually read them and so unless I go back and look at all the posts days after, I do tend to miss the follow-ups. So;etimes I do go back, but for the most part, I don't.

Anyhow, to deal with your question, I do think that there is a very high probability that you are simply not eating enough. I qm not sure what the cause of your hypoglycemia is, but your daily energy intake of 1000 Cal is incredibly low and it is very unlikely that you could get enough energy in this way. So you probably have to increase both your carb intake and your overall energy intake (pretty much the same thing, if you avoid the fats). However, you have raised the point that maybe you need to see a qualified dietician about it and I could not agree more. I think that a dietician would be the perfect person to help you on this one and so if you can, go for it!

As for the exact person, that is difficult. Most dieticians who are available for private consultations are also pretty good when it comes to sport and exercise and know their thing. You can't go wrong if you find one who is working in the gym though, if this is possible. Otherwise, look up a private dietician and make an enquiring call - some will focus on children or pregnant mothers, but many will often see athletes.

Ross

Reply to The Fitness Doc again
Posted by: ...... | 2006/07/27

If you want another reply from the fitnessdoc you need to post a new message - they don't really have time to go back to all previous questions... :o)

Reply to ......
Posted by: Yena | 2006/07/27

I did some research on glycogen - and yes - I don't think I'm taking in enough carbs. Also my insulin is currently "unbalanced" and I'm being treated for it (I'm hypoglycemic). So I suppose this could be a cause. I'm finding it very difficult to finde the exact balance in my dieet - would you suggest I seek professional help in it since I'm very serious about my exercise and dieet? And then - who do I see since I would like the person to consider all aspects not only dieet but my exercise regime as well as my goals.

Reply to Yena
Posted by: Yena | 2006/07/27

I've starting keeping a book on what I eat to try and track exactly what my daily intake is. I would however have thought that my legs would suffer the consequences of the running rather than my arms and my legs are doing fine.

I aim for 1000 cal per day and eat every 2 hours.
height 1.64
weight 73 kgs
age 41 -female.
At last measurement my fat% was 27% - still too high!

Reply to Yena