Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2007/05/10

FitnessDoc Please Help

Dear FitnessDoc

I have been on weigh less for a couple of months and have in total to date lost 25kg. I still have another 22kg to go before i reach goal. I have a huge problem. My tummy circumference is +100cm, and sags. I am 27 years old and have 2 kids one c section and one normal delivery.

My fear is: What is going to happen to all this tummy skin once ive reached goal? Will it just bounce back or not? What can I do? Can it be remedied if at all possible by exercise? Where do I start? I have a gym contract but injured my knee and havent been back for a good couple a weeks. WHat sorta exercise do I do? I doubt that it will ever be surfboard flat but I just need to know if I can do something about it now whilst on the eating plan.

Please help I am seriously paranoid about this.

Thanks in advance

Hi Nadia

Your progress is amazing, 25 kg in two months is terrific. I hope that you can keep it up and make the difficult bridge from losing weight to actually keeping it off. And this is relevant to your concern as well - in my experience, and from what I have heard from others, the problem with skin is a real one if the weight loss is very rapid. If you lose weight very gradually then it's not as much of a problem. And so you have to be careful and plan to lose the weight more gradually. This is good for another reason too - if you lose the weight gradually, it more likely means you'll keep it off, rather than just losing weight and then putting it back some time after.

So be very careful about diet and exercise - if you are losing weight too rapidly, it can be bad for in the long term, and this means you need to be very careful about your diet - most likely your rapid weight loss is happening because your diet is providing a far lower calorie content than your daily activity is using up. This is especially likely because it sounds as though you are not exercising yet? If that's the case, you have to really be careful about diet and perhaps consider eating more during the day - or better yet, see a dietician.

As for exercise, that is very important, though your knee trouble affects what advice I can give you. You need to first address that and then we can take it forward and see about what exercise you can do. Swimming and cycling come to mind as likely if your knee is a little dodgy. And then of course, the circuit session at the gym is a key component, so you should do that too - that can probably done even with the knee problem, apart from one or two machines.

Ross