Question
Posted by: Mils | 2004/01/06

Fitness recovery

I recently gave birth to a baby boy. During my pregenancy and 5months later I allowed myself to get unfit by not exercising as I used to-rather at all- I mean I tried once ot twice before heeding to advice that I rather just stay at home to minimise risks of miscarriages that I have never experienced.Just to give you an idea of what my fitness level was-I used to go to gym atleast 4 times a week and walk or run on weekends for not less than 3kilometres depending on how I felt. 30minutes running on the treadmil became a piece of cake and I kept at this for atleast 1yr and a half before I fell pregnant.Its been atleast another year and half since I last exercise before a day before when I went back to gym.
I read somewhere in longevity or shape that it takes about 5 weeks to loose atleast 50% of ones fittnness level so I do realise that it will take me quiet sometime to get back to were I was considering that I also have 12kgs to loose.
My question is how long do you think and what would it take to get me where I was?

Hi Mils

It will take a while, but it’s definitely possible. What I would suggest is obviously a gradual build up in the exercise programme. I think that to start with you can exercise 3 or 4 times a week (every second day). What I would suggest for you is the following programme on the Health 24 site.

Go to "Fitness" and then click on "Shape up". Here you will find a number of different programmes, including one for walking, another for running 10 km, and a cycling one. You can choose which you prefer. These programmes contain both cardiovascular (good for weight loss) and resistance training (for toning the muscles) and so are good overall complete programmes. You will see that the programmes are designed in such a way that they build up the intensity very gradually, and this will be perfect for you.

Finally, I see that you are aiming for 12 kg. I’m not sure what your weight was before you became pregnant, but I do wonder whether you are not aiming too high at the moment. I would go first for 6 kg, and then see how that goes and then reassess the goal. Aim for your pre-pregnancy weight and then go from there.

1
Posted by: Mils | 2004/01/08

Thanks Doc. before my pregnancy I used to be a size 34 at 57kg and now am 38 at 73.6

I will definately follow your advice
Thanks a lot

Reply to Mils