Question
Posted by: Justine | 2005/12/05

Fitness plan for the pregnant

Im 6months pregnant & iv gotten really fat, Im afraid that after I give birth I wont be able to loose the weight easily, so can u please help me with a fitness plan so I can keep fit, maybe a trainer for preg woman, water aroebics or a nice & healthy eating plan that would be safe for baby also.

hi Justine

Unfortunately, once you are 6 months pregnant and have been inactive for a long time, it's not the time to get fit, so your goal from the next few months should not be to get fit, but rather to stay healthy and to enable the best possible recovery after birth. Exercise can do this for you, and so I hope that you will manage over the next 3 months to focus your energy into doing regular exercise, but not to make this a fitness session but rather a relaxation session. The absolutely important thing is that you have to get medical clearance and have your doctor guide the entire process.

I also can't provide a training programme, it would be reckless and possibly harmful to do this considering your stage and previous exercise regime and the fact that you are pregnant. I really think that the best thing is to speak with your doctor, have them refer you to a dietician for the diet and to a biokineticist or a natal clinic for the exercise. It's certainly worth it, your intentions are good and proven to work - diet and exercise are definitely beneficial for you and the baby, but you have to do it really well for it to work, so I would consult a doctor.