Question
Posted by: Gemma | 2005/01/13

Fitness plan: do not know where to start!

I am 27 years old. I weigh about 54 kilograms and am 1.55 m "tall"

I am a serial over doer - I begib a routine and then fizzle out becuase I am tired after work and dread going to the gym! At the moment, I am feeling so sluggish and unfit. I am a pear shape with a small waist and carry my weight predominantly on my ips. At the moment, I feel untoned and terrible. I would like to embark on a fitnesss routine that is sustainable and sees results. I am quite happy to go to gym 4 /5 times a week - but need to know that I will achieve something. My goals are primarily fitness/sense of wellbeing and toning up everywhere(mostly bum and thighs)

Please help!

Hi Gemma

I am very confient that you would achieve something if you started exercise. Firstly, though you are not overweight, your BMI is only 22, which means that you are right in the ideal range. Therefore, losing weight is not going to be as simple perhaps as it would be if you were overweight. So, it's good that your main goals are the toning and fitness.

As for the motivation that wanes, that is something that only you can really address. It just takes a commitment and perhaps realistic goal setting - you have to understand that the path to fitness is not 3 weeks long, it will take months, and so a slow start is vital. Even though it may mean that you see nothing for the first few weeks, it's much more beneficial in the long run.

IN terms of the actual practicalities, my advice is to check out the following website:http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.

You may find that this is a very basic programme at the start, but that is fine, you can just skip ahead a few weeks, and then use the programme to set yourself goals - this way, hopefully, you will be able to stick it out longer.

Finally, the best piece of advice is that you must find someone to exercise with you - there's no better way to stay motivated and sustained, than to have a partner in training, who you can be motivated by.

1
Posted by: NM | 2005/01/14

Hi Gemma,

Why don't you try to go in the morning before work? That's what I do - it is hard to get up so early in the morning but you will get used to it. I actually prefer going in the morning cause that way it's over and done with and I don't have to worry about it...Just give it a try and see if it works for you...

NM

Reply to NM