Question
Posted by: kitty | 2007/03/13

fitness and water - another question

Thanks for the reply, it makes alot of sense. I just want to know another thing. I take a two litre bottle of water to work in the morning, and usually by 2 or 3 o clock in the afternoon, the water's finished. Then at home, between 4 and 5 o clock, I get on the treadmill, and I jog for 20 minutes at least, sometimes 25 or 30 minutes. During my session on the treadmill, I do not drink any water, but when I'm done, I'll take a few sips, as my mouth would be really dry. Is this a bad way of drinking water, or can I still drink water when I run?

Hi Kitty

If you aren't thirsty during those 20 minutes, then it's fine. You will never become dehydrated in only 20 minutes, and so it is quite safe to run for that length of time and not drinking anything at all. there are people who don't drink on a 2 hour run, and that's also fine. The point to remember is that as soon as you are finished, you will drink, if you need it. And you know you need it because you become thirsty, your mouth is dry. So then if you drink, you replace the water that was lost. And it doesn't have to be replaced immediately - you can replace that water loss over the course of hours, and it's also fine. So I guess you needn't worry about it - the practice of taking water and reminding yourself to drink is not needed. You don't need to tell yourself to drink, all you need to do is listen to the body, and it sounds as though you have been doing that, so there's no problem.