Question
Posted by: kitty | 2007/03/12

fitness and water.

Hi there. Dunno if I'm asking the right person here, but I've heard two rumors, and I want to know if it's true or not. The first one, is that drinking too much water during exercise, can effect you fitness level, and the second one is that, you should not drink water while you are eating. I drink alot of water period. But I do drink alot before and during my meals. Is that a bad thing or not, and if so, why?

Kit

Hi Kitty

Drinking too much water during exercise can certainly be very bad for you - in fact, it can kill you. The reason is that when you drink water, you dilute the blood and this affects the tissues, like the brain. Eventually people who drink too much can go into a coma and die. It has happened quite often, and it's tragic because it's so easy to avoid - you just have to be sure that you drink only when you are thirsty, and not more. There is no need to drink if you are not thirsty, it just does nothing for you. And so the same goes for when you eat, there is no need to drink unless you feel like you have to some water with your food. So it's not so much affecting your fitness level as it affects your overall health. Of course, if you drink too much, you will feel much worse than before and so that will cause your fitness to suffer, but it's not a direct effect, if that makes sense.

So the bottom line is that you needn't drink unless you are thirsty, and too much is definitely worse for you than not drinking.