Question
Posted by: Eissus | 2007/04/15

Fitness and colds and flu

I am a woman, 53 years of age and started seriously training in a gym with the help of a Personal trainer. I'm working out 3 times per week and was doing 2 hours per session. Swimming is my favorite. I'm doing this now for around 14 months. I became ill of cold and right after that flu and brongitus. I really struggle to get myself healthy again. This is going on for about 7 weeks now. I started excercise again but I dont feel myself, still wheezy chest and so on. Can it be that you catch a cold or flu easier when you are fit than when you are unfit? What about the swimming pool? Can you catch someone elses germs in there? With all the chloride and even salt in the water, is it possible? What about the airconditioning in the gym? I hope you can help me because I love my excercising.

Hi Eissus

Getting fitter usually makes one more healthy and all the scientific evidence says that people who are fitter from exercise are less likely to get sick.

However, the problem with this is that because you are active now, you may be putting yourself into situations where you can get sick more easily. In otherwords, being at the gym exposes you to more people who may be sick than before you trained. I doubt it's the pool water, though I'm not going to rule it out, but it's more likely the enclosed space plus air conditioning.

I think that what you need to do then (because you can't change these things, unless you start exercising outside), is to look at diet and recovery. If you are eating insufficiently, then certainly your immune system can be affected, so that's the first thing to look at. Then recovery is also key - when you eat, how you rest, because if you don't it can easily cause you to become sick often. But then the other thing is that you've only been sick once this season so far, it's just that you have not recovered, and perhaps what's happening is that you are trying to exercise to soon, and if you took a week or two off completely, you'd be able to exercise with no trouble.

1
Posted by: eissus | 2007/04/19

Thanks very much for your answer, I think I understand it better now. My diet is not sufficient and I try to start excercising too soon.

Reply to eissus