Question
Posted by: Worried mom | 2004/10/20

Fitness after baby?

Hi there Doc

I have 3 problems areas I wish to ask advise about: Buttocks, tummy and arms.

I have a boy (9 months) which keeps me VERY busy at night and on weekends. Finding time to excersise is almost imposible, I love jogging, but never find the time anymore.
I would love to set aside 30 min 3-4 times a week to go jogging but that's sometimes not possible, by the time my boy is bathed and in bed it's dark already...please advise what I can do to tone/burn fat off my buttocks, tummy and arms.

(I do not have a stationary bike or health walker for home excerise)

Thanks!

Hi There

I empathisize with your problem, and I know how it can be very difficult to make time for exercise, whether it is for a baby, work, etc.

What I would definitely suggest is that you don't give up on the idea of finding time to exercise. It's extremely important for weight loss purposes that you do regular cardio. I can give you ideas for how to do exercises at home, but none are as effective as cardiovascular training, like walking or jogging. Therefore, if you are pressed for time, it is certainly a good idea to try the exercises I refer you to, but it's just as important to find time, whether it's once during the week and then twice on weekends, to go out for the jog that you spoke of.

Now, as for those exercises, I suggest you check out the following website:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. These programmes will be useful for you to see the exercises you can do at home, but also for the cardio component. I can't emphasize enough that the cardio is vital, and though the home exercises will help with toning and strength, if your goal is to tone the stomach and arms, then cardio is vital.

3
Posted by: CAT | 2004/10/21

Ek sukkel met die selfde probleem ek het twee kinders en 'n voltydse werk ek het nie tyd of die enrgie vir draf en oefeninge nie

HELP!!!!

Reply to CAT
Posted by: WM | 2004/10/21

Hi Mimi

This is a great idea but I don't feel very comfortable with leaving my baby with strangers. I don't think I will be able to enjoy the workout while worrying about him, and that time of night he enjoys his bath and bedtime stories...I have explored that option. All I am really looking for is a few simple excerises which I can do at home, without any equipment, which will focuss on those 3 problem areas.

Thanks for you help!

Reply to WM
Posted by: Mimi | 2004/10/21

Why not join the local Gym and you can take your baby with to the Gym and they'll call if there is a need. Lots of mothers do this.

Reply to Mimi