Question
Posted by: Dalene Theron | 2003/02/11

fitness

I'm invited to walk the Otter Trail in September and don't know how to go about getting fit. have never done any hiking before.
Im 23 years old, 1.75 m tall and fairly active. I weigh 60 kg. I go to gym three times a week and jog in the mornings.
Can you please advise something that wil help me get fit and prepare me for this trip?

NS: Im going with the inlaws - so the last thing I want to worry about is my fitness and ability to keep up.

Dalene

Hi Dalene

Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job of keeping fit!! What I would just suggest, is that you do some jogging on hills, or on a treadmill on elevation, since the Otter Trail is very undulating with quite a few climbs, however, the days are fairly short (in km's), so I really wouldn't worry. Alternatively, do some weekend walks in hilly areas with a day pack on your back.

Also try to keep your backpack at a weight less than 15kg (when on the trail) - i.e preferably at about 13kg - and ensure you have good hiking boots, so that you have better grip on the boulders.

It is a magnificant hike - I am envious! Enjoy it!

2
Posted by: Russell | 2003/02/13

Also try walking at a brisk pace on a treadmill with a steep incline setting. Make sure you have good comfortable boots and backpack for the hike.

Enjoy,
Russell.

Reply to Russell
Posted by: Brandon | 2003/02/11

I aint no dr. but I do a lot of hiking. Sounds like you're reasonably fit already so you shouldn't have any problems with the Otter. Maybe just fit in a couple of local hikes so that you get used to your hiking boots and carrying a backpack (NB!!!).

Enjoy
B

Reply to Brandon