Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2004/11/15

Fit and slim for wedding

My wedding day in on 21 Dec, problem is I have gained a lot of weight [7kg] to my normal 66kg. I'm 26.
I've just joined the gym [1week] and would like to know what kind of exercises / diet will make me lose this excess 7kg in one month before my wedding day.
My major worry is the honeymoon period [Zanzibar], my "husband" wants me to wear some skimpy thing, my thighs and buttocks are neither firm or thin, I know he loves me regardless, but I just want to look/feel sexier on that day.
Please help I am desperate

Hi Sandy

I think that the most important thing is to understand what has caused you to gain 7kg, and over what time period this has occurred. If there is something obvious, then you have to cut it out right away in order for any exercise to be effective - this assumes that it is something like diet, of course.

As for exercise, the problem is that your wedding is 5 weeks away and so it's short enough that to lose 7 kg is really hard (in fact, I would be advising that you should not aim this high - try to make your focus getting fit and toned, but don't worry about weight), but long enough that if you train too hard now, in three or four weeks you might be injured or overtrained and then you would stop exercise, undoing all the good work.

So the key is to find the balance. I would suggest that you start off with 4 days a week now, and don't go excessively. If you are at a gym, then any dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling will be good. Things like aerobics will also be very good for you, so will taebo. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Now, the other really important aspect is some weight training, as this will help to speed up your metabolism, increase muscle tone, and lose weight in the right areas. If you have access to a gym, ensure that you are shown how to do each exercise correctly, to prevent injuries. If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
• Perform 4-6 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
• Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
• Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

What I would suggest that you check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.