Question
Posted by: Preggies | 2006/10/26

Fish liver oils & pregnancy

Dr Van Heerden, thank you for your articles-I always find them very informative. I once read one of your articles entitled "Essential nutrients for pregnancy" and have now referred to it since I'm 6 weeks pregnant! You mention the importance of Omega 3 and 6. A friend recommended I use a product called "MomOmega". MomOmega contains evening primrose oils and fish liver oils. I'm worried though because in another aricle it stated: "Don't take fish liver oils because they contain vitamin A in levels not recommended in pregnancy"".
PLEASE ADVISE

Dear Preggies
Congratulations on your pregnancy and thank you for your kind words. I would recommend that you use Salmon oil capsules that are an extract of the essential omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA and don't contain masses of vit A. Anyone eating a western diet which contains margarine and plant oils (which are rich in omega-6), does not need to take Evening Primrose oil (a potent source of omega-6), because omega-6 actually prevents uptake of omega-3 and it is the latter essential fatty acids that western people are deficient in. Also keep a lookout in the supermarkets for products that are enriched with omega-3 - eggs, some bread, some brands of milk, and now also Flora margarine.
Enjoy your pregnancy