Question
Posted by: Lilly | 2004/03/08

First visit to a gynae

Hi doc,

I'm in my early 20's and still a virgin. I have never been to a gynae before and think it's time to go for a general check up.
I am a bit scared to go - will the examination be internal or can scans, etc. be used?

If you are not sexually active, you do not need a gynaecological check-up unless you have problems with your periods, abdominal pain or other gynaecological symptoms.

1
Posted by: pokkel | 2004/03/08

Hi Lilly
It is not a bad experience at all, and in most cases the docter is very professional in the examination.

He will first ask you a lot of questions about your health and your family health ex. breast cancer in the family or other illnesss etc.
The he will ask you to undress in a separate room and you will be given a gown to wear. He/She will then examine your breasts for lumbs and your stomach area by pushing onto it. Then he will insert a medical instrument into your vagina and use a spatula to take a sample, (to determine if you have any infections " and that is it!!!
Usually throughout the whole examination, the gynae would talk to you, you won't even realize all the things he is doing.

You really feel better afterwards, since you know you did the right thing to look after yourself.

Reply to pokkel