Question
Posted by: Nomvula | 2005/12/01

First Time Mum

I have a four month old daughter. My mother and sisters have advised me to start introducing her to solid foods. I read on this site that the ideal age is 6 months. She drinks 3 bottles (10 ounces) a day of formula and her weight is 6.3kgs.I am working so I only breastfeed her in the evenings.If I do inroduce her to solid foods how many times does she have to eat a day. Please advise

Dear Nomvula
The general opinion in Paediatric nutrition is that infants should not really be introduced to solid foods before the age of 6 months because mother's milk by preference and most formulas contain all the nutrients a baby needs. Your daughter seems to be doing well because her weight is already that of a 6 month-old baby. I am cautious to recommend introducing solids before 6 months as this could lead to excessive weight gain. If you do decide to try her on solids then start off with a non-allergenic cereal such as rice porridge. Tiny babies have tiny stomachs and need to be given very small portions of food. Start off with 1 teaspoon of baby cereal once or twice a day, then as she gets older and used to eating solids, you can introduce cooked, pureed vegetables and mashed fruit such a banana. Check on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Infant feeding' to get an idea of what and how much infants need to eat.