Question
Posted by: Noks | 2007/03/15

FIRST TIME MOM TO BE

I found out I was 7 and a half weeks pregnant on 01 Dec 2006.At the time I did not know wht to do or how to feel and my first instinct was that I did not want to have the baby.After doing a lot of thinking and having support from my mother, I've decided on keeping the baby.My problem is I don't know what step to take next.

Should I already be going for regular check-ups or is it too late?I've called around a number of clinics and have been advised that they don't do ante natal check-ups and I'm not on medical aid so I have to go to a public clinic or hospital near Parklands (where I live). Some places have advised I'm not allowed to go to them because I don't stay in the district/region they operate in. Will someone please advise as I'm really desperate.
MANY THANKS: NOKS

If you are going to a state clinic, you have to go to the one in your area. It is important to go as soon as possible so that things can be checked.

6
Posted by: NOKS | 2007/03/16

Hi Paula

Thanks very much for the reply yesterday, I've called Mowbray Maternity and have been told to come for a screening to see if I qualify to be one of their patients. They said I must come on the 4th of April so am not sure if this is too late because if I count for myself, I'm alraedy 22 weeks pregnant. I've also tried Sommerset Hospital and have been given an even further date (24 April). But will now try Karl Bremmer in Bellvile.
Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Take Care
Noks

Reply to NOKS
Posted by: S | 2007/03/15

If you have any queries or just want to chat to other preggie ladies, then why don't you join us on the pregnancy chatline, list on your left, just go to bottom and you will see it.

Reply to S
Posted by: Paula | 2007/03/15

I just wanted to make sure – before I went off about what’s available in CT – only to find that you live in Parklands JHB! :-)

Have you approached Mowbray maternity hospital at all? (Or were they the ones that told you that you don’t fall under their area?)

There is also Karl Bremmer hospital in Bellville – not exactly in Parklands but you might fall under their area.

Have you considered going to a midwife for your prenatal checks? She’ll refer you to her back-up gynae for two of your appointments (this is required by law), and if your pregnancy is deemed low-risk, then you also have the option of a midwife assisted birth at Mowbray (you would then be a private patient under the care of the midwife).

Regular check-ups/visits are important because both you and your caregiver need to know if you and baby are doing okay. They need to monitor (or just keep an eye on) your weight gain, they check your urine to test for the presence of sugar and your blood pressure.

Reply to Paula
Posted by: Noks | 2007/03/15

Hi Paula

Many thanks for the reply. I'm in Parklands CT

Kind regards
Noku

Reply to Noks
Posted by: Paula (from preggy chatline) | 2007/03/15

Hi Noks

Congrats on your pregnancy ;-)

Are you in Parklands CT or JHB?

Luv
Paula (from the preggy chatline)
x

Reply to Paula (from preggy chatline)
Posted by: S | 2007/03/15

Hi Noks
That is such Wonderful news! Going to ask some of the ladies on the pregnancy chatline to help answer all yout questions.

Reply to S