Question
Posted by: ouch | 2007/03/24

First time gynae visit need help

I have never! been to gynaecologist and definitely think that at 28 its about time but honestly I am completely petrified!! Just the thought freaks me out… Please tell me what to expect from a first time visit?

I hope that M has helped.

3
Posted by: Ouch | 2007/03/27

Thanks guys iv got more info off this site than from anyone or anything else :)

Reply to Ouch
Posted by: alice | 2007/03/26

if you feel uncomfortable seeing a male doctor, rather see a woman. I feel more comfortable seeing a woman doctor....

Reply to alice
Posted by: M | 2007/03/25

No need to worry. Doc will ask about your menstrual history, a bit about yourself, if you have any concerns, if you are sexually active etc. Then he will do a pap smear. He will ask you to go to a room and take your clothes off and put on a gown. After you will come out and lay on the bed. He should chat to you and you should try and relax. You will put your knees up slightly, but will be covered completely. He will put some ky gel on the object which will be inserted into the vagina gently. Then he uses a thin brush like object which takes cells off the cervix. This may be a little painful but pretty quick. It takes about 3 mins for the whole thing. Some docs also do an internal scan - but it's not painful just a little uncomfortable and you will see your womb and overies on the screen. It's normal to be nervous but ask questions as much as possible and let him know you are anxious.

Reply to M