Question
Posted by: Anja | 2006/04/10

first time gynae visit

I just made an appointment for my first ever gynae visit because I am having trouble with irregular periods. We are trying to conceive, but I think I have some sort of hormonal imbalance. Any way, could you please advise on what to do/prepare for a gynae visit. Should your pubic area be shaved? Will he do an internal exam on the first visit? How exactly will he determine if I do have an hormonal imbalance? Can hubby come with? What sort of questions must I prepare for? I am very nervous.
Thanks.

I hope that Lou has helped.

1
Posted by: lou | 2006/04/11

Hi Anja

Firstly, you need to try and relax and not be too nervous - remember your gynae see's hundreds of women each week, so its no big deal to them (as it is to you).

Have a bath or shower before you go off to your appointment, no need to shave your pubic area if you dont normally, just make sure you are clean and fresh.

Your gynae will possibly do a internal or external scan as well as a pap smear test. The internal scan is done with an instrument that looks like a rod, he puts a condom over it with some lubricant and inserts it into your vagina - a picture comes up on the monitor of your insides - its quite interesting actually. If he does an external scan, he just rubs some gel over your lower abdomen and rolls the instrument over your tum and also gets a picture up on the monitor of your uterus etc. The scans will show up any cysts or abnormalities - if they exist.

For the Pap he will ask you to take off your clothes and put on a robe, hop up on the examining bed and lift and part your knees (grim for us, but remember, its like teeth to a dentist!!) - your gynae will insert the instrument in order to take a pap smear, its a bit uncomfy, but shouldn't hurt.
Some women may have a little spotting after a pap smear, so take a panty liner with you in case.
The doc may also do a breast exam - he keeps one breast covered and palpates your breast checking for lumps etc, then does the other one.

Good luck.

Reply to lou