Question
Posted by: Kyla | 2004/11/15

First Time

Hi Doc and Ladies,

I am going to the Gynae for the first time tomorrow, I have no idea what to expect. It is a 300 rand consultation fee. Is this just talking or does it include an exam.If so what does that entail? I have an infection of some sorts, will this cost extra? Im sorry if i sound dtupid, I just have no idea and would appreciate any help.

Also, I am going in the afternoon, should i go and bath first, or are there wipes i can use to freshen up, i am panicking just thinking about it!

Thank you,

Kyla

I hope that the other respondents have put your mind at rest.

8
Posted by: Kyla | 2004/11/15

Thank you so much for your support Jackie, I will definitly let u know what she says. Or what happens. I think if i dont get my eriod by thurs i will do a test. Let u know how it goes.

Reply to Kyla
Posted by: Jackie | 2004/11/15

Condoms are quite safe, so I don't think you are pregnant. Maybe it is an effection, or maybe just severe period symtoms. But, at least you will get an answer tomorrow. I think you can ask the gynae whether you should do the tests, they will help you. Please do not apologize for asking questions, I understand. If you really want to know if you are pregnant, you can do a home pregnancy test tomorrow morning. But, it might be better to speak to the gynae about this. Don't forget to let me know what happens

Reply to Jackie
Posted by: Kyla | 2004/11/15

I dont know, in sept i started my period on16th, october it was late - 21st. so not sure when/if it will start. I am terrified i am. My b/f and i are having some problems, i am only 21 and am not prepared to be pregnant. We use condoms, so not sure if it could happen. Do i ask for a test to be done? Does it sound like i may be? So many questions, sorry! so inexperienced. Also, is a pap smear included? If not, do u know how much it costs?

Reply to Kyla
Posted by: Jackie | 2004/11/15

Do you think you could be pregnant? I will cross my fingers that nothing is seriously wrong. Let us know what happens.

Good luck again

Reply to Jackie
Posted by: Kyla | 2004/11/15

Thanks Jackie, i am really nervous, i have terrible pains in my lower abdomen and lower back. Have been to the GP for the bladder infection, but after two rounds of anti biotics its still there. I am also nauseous, i dont know what it could be. So the consultation covers an internal exam? And i will get told about everything else. I am just scared there is something really wrong with me!

Reply to Kyla
Posted by: Jackie | 2004/11/15

Hi Kyla

I understand your nervousness, but you will be fine. And PN is right, it will be over before you know it. Just to give you some info, the gynae will ask to to undress and put on a gown. Then he/she will examine your breasts for any lumps. Are you going for a pap smear as well or just for the infection? The papsmear is nothing to worry about. It does not hurt, maybe just a little discomfort and it is over within a few minutes. Since you will be paying cash, make sure that the gynae informs you if any procedure is going to cost extra. I visited my gynae a few weeks ago. The consultation was R270.00, which I thought was fine. Then the gynae said that I HAVE to do an ultra sound since it must be done every 2 years in a womens life. I did not even ask how much it cost, I did not think it will be too much extra, how silly of me. Anyway, when they handed me the invoice it was R700.00! I was terribly shocked since I did not realize that an ultrasound is so expensive, I should have asked.

Good luck, and do not be afraid to ask any questions at all. No need to be shy either since these doctors are professionals.

Reply to Jackie
Posted by: Kyla | 2004/11/15

I am not on a medical aid, so it is a worry for me. Is there anything I should know, what do they do to you. I am sorry i must sound so dumb, just really worried!

Reply to Kyla
Posted by: PN | 2004/11/15

The exam usually covers a short discussion as well as an examination.

The discussion will depend on any questions you have...do not be afraid to ask anything thats concerning you - after all you are paying for the consultation and should get the most out of it.

You will probably have a pap smear done as well as your infection examined. Your Breasts might also be examined for any lumps.

Try not to be nervous. Its all over before you know it.

Personally, I usually shower before my visit to the gynea ...thats just a personal choice.

About the costs..most of it is recoverable from medical aid. Don't let the costs deter you.

Good luck.

Reply to PN