Question
Posted by: Jill | 2007/03/13

First gay married couple to divorce?

Has anyone been following this story in the media? A 52 year old man and his 20 year old husband were married in January and the older man is now filing for divorce on the grounds of desertion because the younger chap wanted some time to clear his head or something.

What are your thoughts on this?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Jill and thanks for posting here.

10
Posted by: Ollie | 2007/04/10

I must admit, I was well disgusted with the sensationalist way in which YOU magazine published it. Wrote them a letter... of course they chose not to respond. Losers

Reply to Ollie
Posted by: st-ryker | 2007/03/15

well.... think about it logically... there was a FIRST gay marriage, so it was inevitable that there would be a FIRST gay divorce!

Reply to st-ryker
Posted by: GreenEyes | 2007/03/13

Hi Anon,

no, i don't agree, we're all making assumptions here.
on the one hand, it might have been a case of, yay, it's legal now, let's get hitched and be part of history as one of the first couples to get married, thereafter, the younger guy gets cold feet after the fact.
On the other hand, these two may have been together for awhile, felt that they are soulmates... and the wheels could have just fallen off.

this sorta stuff happens all the time, hetrosexual, homosexual and everything inbetween.

with all due respect, who are we to judge anyone for their decisions?

jill... i wasn't attacking you honey, i just strongly believe that people should be allowed to live their lives as they want to, if people are extremely impulsive and get married at the drop of a hat, it's their perogative.
Let's face it, in this day and age, marriage isn't what it's supposed to be. and again.. who are we to judge?

xx

Reply to GreenEyes
Posted by: Joe | 2007/03/13

You dont pick up somebody at the local shopping mall and marry then within 1-3 months. No way either gay or straight.

It will be sensational having the first gay divorce. Like the first sex change, a first heart transplant etc etc

My thuoght: marriage is overrated anyway.

Reply to Joe
Posted by: Billy | 2007/03/13

Dear Anon,
Well, my husband to be is in his 50s and i am in my 30s. We know each other for a while and are engaged for 1 year. Our date is in July 2007 and I so look forward to this. Firstly, we don't have anything in commen with each other. But when I met him a i realised he is my soulmate. Though we don't have things in commen, we made it out "job" to stimulate each other in anyway possible - I can tell you, that works. We do have TV (and DSTV) at home but during the week, we never switch it on. We eat at the dinning room table and never in front of the TV. We talk for hours at the table about everything and believe me, the sex is still great. We discuss everything and don't hide anything from each other. I just think that the age is not an issue it's all to do with how mature we are ...

Billy

Reply to Billy
Posted by: Thomas | 2007/03/13

Seriously, marriage needs to be taken a bit more seriously, many people are in love with the idea of being in love and get off on the fantasy of marriage without knowing what it's really about.

Reply to Thomas

Hi Jill.... I think there IS a problem here, a 50-something man meets a 20-something guy, falls in lust (too quick for love I reckon) and then wonders why the wheels fall off so soon? I mean, how much do we assume these guys had in common, how well do we reckon they really knew each other? So Greeneyes, admit it - this was just a silly impulsive blunder that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Keen to hear what others have to say....

Posted by: Jill | 2007/03/13

Good grief, sorry I asked...thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion!

Reply to Jill
Posted by: GreenEyes | 2007/03/13

Honestly, WHAT is the big deal???!!!

people get divorced every bloody day, it's only getting so much interest, cos same-sex marriages are still so new, and that's it!!

my only thought is, leave them alone, it's painful enough without the rest of the country having to hear about it.

oh by the way... did any of you guys hear that my uncle in the UK is getting divorced? hmm.. thought not, him and his wife are heterosexual....
(sorry, not feeling well, sarcasm hits a peak when i'm a miserable sick-ass cow:)

have a fantastic day all
xx

Reply to GreenEyes
Posted by: me | 2007/03/13

Exactly the same as Britney Spears's 2 day marriage, happens all the time !!

Reply to me