Question
Posted by: Jay | 2005/11/29

Finger inserted into possible HIV positive vagina

Through a series of bad decisions, I was in a situation where I inserted my middle finger into the vagina of a possible HIV positive person. I noticed afterwards that I had a shallow paper cut on my finger that had already sealed up, but left a slight scab on my finger. Total exposure time +/- 3 minutes. Immediately afterwards I cleansed my hands with an alcohol-based waterless hand cleaner. Could I be infected? Please help, I'm freaking out here. How long does it take before you may test positive?
Thanks,
Jay

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Jay!

Your chances of infection are minimal, since the scab had already sealed up. Nevertheless, I would recommend getting tested. The conservative oppinion is that the window period (the time it takes before the antibodies tested for have formed in your blood) is over after three months. So, do a test three months after the possible exposure and you will know.

Good luck with the wait. Its tough!

Stay well and keep strong!
Laurent

1
Posted by: Raj | 2013/10/21

Me finger in prostuted vegina I have small wounds in mi finger but in wounds no bleeding what the chances of HIV positiv

Reply to Raj