Question
Posted by: Lienks | 2008/07/02

Finger exercises

Hi Ross

Hope you can help me, because I really need help... 3 Weeks back I sprained my ringfinger during training. This one guy kicked my hand by accident. I went the next day to the dr to make sure my finger wasn't broken. Luckily it was not. He buddy taped it and told me after 5 days I need to take it off and start moving my finger. After the fifth day, I took the tape of. But I couldn't move my finger. It was still blue and swollen. Anyway, I'm still struggling to move it. I can bent it a bit, but my finger is still very stiff. It feels if my skin is going to burst open if I bent it too much and still very sore. I don't know if I must force my finger to bent or must I just leave it. Every now and again the finger gets hot, then I take anti-inflamitries. Will a physio be able to help me with this? I'm so frustrated not to be able to use my hand properly...

Thanks for your time.

hI Lienks

Thanks for the defence on the previous question about delays, and apologies for the delay to your question!

Difficult to say what the problem might be - is it possible that it was misdiagnosed, and that it may well be fractured slightly? An X-ray would be the only definitive way to know this. But I certainly wouldn't force it, because that level of pain and swelling means that there is substantial damage to the finger, and that needs to heal before you even consider physio to assist movement. I think you therefore need to give it time and maybe even tape it again. It's now a week since your post, and so perhaps the passage of time has helped, in which case my answer is outdated.

But I'd say give it until you can go without the tape and pain, then consider seeing a physio. But time should help.