Question
Posted by: Penny | 2008/05/26

Finally pregnant

I have been married for 2 years and have been trying to conceive. My husband is HIV + and I am negative. I am finally pregnant, 6 weeks to be precise and we are both very excited. My only worry is that, is the baby going to be + or -? I am really worried. Should we carry on having unprotected sex, is it not going to affect the unborn baby? Please help

As long as you are HIV -ve, the baby will not be affected. However, if you continue to have unprotected intercourse, the likelihood is that you will get HIV eventually.

6
Posted by: penny | 2008/05/27

Thank you. I will definately tell my gynae everything.

Reply to penny
Posted by: nash | 2008/05/27

i think--- if you dont have HIV then you baby does not have any chances of getting it. babies are born HIV free to mothers that do have HIV. you dont have HIV so your baby is fine. the fact that your husband has HIV does not affect your baby. i might be wrong. this is really something you should bring under your gynaes attention. good luck

Reply to nash
Posted by: penny | 2008/05/26

I know you will think i am crazy. my family feels the same. My husband has been positive since early 200 and we met late 2001. We only found out about his status in 2005 and got married in 2006. He is a good man. He has never cheated on me not even once or given me a reason that he would cheat. Anyway when we went for the first test and discovered that i was -, the doc said i have a blood type that rejects the desease but advised me not to expose myself. We have been trying to have a baby the natural way and of course go for blood tests every six months. I am still negative, As much as I have a blood type that rejects the desease I am worried about the baby. All this time I have put my faith and trust in God.

Reply to penny
Posted by: anon | 2008/05/26

hi did you sleep with him ,knowing his status just beacuse you wanted to have a baby,or was it through IVF??

Reply to anon
Posted by: nash | 2008/05/26

Penny i also dont understand. if you had sex with someone that is + how could you stay -?? you are welcome to join us on the pregnancy chat line. as far as i know there are alot of ways to protect your child so that he/she will not be born with HIV. its just important that you have a very good gynae

Reply to nash
Posted by: anon | 2008/05/26

Correct me if i am wrong, I thought the couples with the status such as yours are suppose to use condoms and if they need to fall pregnant then they should go for IVF. How could people put their lives and the life of an unborn child on such a risk. Leaving with an HIV + man should have equiped you with all the info that you need.

Reply to anon