Posted by: Beth | 2008/10/01


Hello Doctor

I would like to know firstly whether under eye injections cause bruising, and if so, can it be covered by make up so that one can go back to work the following day?
Secondly, how much filler vials are usually needed for under the eyes?

Thank you so much. This is an amazing service that you offer.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Beth, thank you for the question and thank you for the compliment.

Firstly, I must mention that fillers around the eye area should only be performed by a medical doctor with specific training in this area. A number of complications can arise as this is a delicate area to be injecting fillers.

Bruising is a concern for fillers in any area but this is heightened in the eye area as one is injecting close to a number of veins. Typically the fillers I have done for peri orbital rejuvenation (around the eye) will either result in no bruising or small to medium size bruises (approximately 50/50 split) that can be easily hidden with good makeup/cover. However, if a slightly larger vein is nicked, one can end up with a much bigger bruise (the size of a black eye!). Unfortunately, as we are injecting below the skin surface, veins cannot be seen and there is no way of predicting the likelihood of bruising from patient to patient.

As a result some patients prefer to undergo fillers on a Friday so that they have time to recuperate over the weekend while others prefer to have fillers on a Monday so that they can enjoy their weekends out. My advise is to avoid Aspirin, aspirin containing medication, Vitamin K, and medication such as Voltaren or Myprodol for 2 weeks before the treatment. If you are using high dose vitamin C then please stop at least 3 days before the treatment. This protocol will help reduce the possibility of bruising. Using ice on the area just before injecting will also help limit the bruise if it develops.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.