Posted by: Siri | 2008/09/11

Are fillers harmful in the long run?
Can it prevent wrinkles from worsening once filled?
How long do fillers last especially with cheek/bone filling for my thin face?
I am 39

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Siri, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with your answer.

Non animal stabilized hyaluronic acid fillers (NASHA) have not been shown to be harmful with long term use, particularly those with FDA approval. Furthermore, it has been shown that these fillers once injected into the skin cause fibroblast stimulation with a resultant increase in collagen. This may help improve the appearance of a wrinkle with long term use.
NASHA filler’s duration of effect is dependent on the type of filler used, depth of placement, and the area injected. Typically cheek augmentation may last from 6 months to 2 years and this large variance is due to the above mentioned factors. My advice would be to discuss these factors with your attending aesthetic practitioner so that the appropriate filler and depth of injection may be chosen for you.