Question
Posted by: Yorkie Mom | 2007/08/18

Fighting Yorkies

Ok I almost solved the potty training now one of my yorkie females are pregnant and she bites the other one on the ears and what I want to know is how to seperate them when they are fighting and to keep the one from attacking the other one! Its driving me mad cause I have to keep a eye on them 24/7 but they don't seem to fight when we are not home. Any idees or does she need a therapist hehe imagine my little angel needs a head dr!!!

Be careful when separating fighting dogs as that is the time one is most likely to be bitten by one of them. Is there any reason for them to be challenging each other? Do they have separate food bowls? What about beds?

6
Posted by: Yorkie Mom | 2007/08/26

Cybervet, they all eat out of the same bowl (they have 2 bowls of food) and was always sleeping togther with us with no problems its just now that the one is pregnant that she started to be so aggresive. she can't even walk past the other female without trying to attack her. I try to keep them apart but it is very difficult. I was biten a few times but nothing serious as I don't want them to keep on fightin and don't want to leave them fighting for fear of hurting each other.

Reply to Yorkie Mom
Posted by: Yorkie Mom | 2007/08/25

The vet said plain yoghurt is fine I only gave it to her twice during the Sunday and it helped alot. She is 5 weeks now and the tummy is a thing of the past but then the other to came down with it so I had a hectic week with little sleep but all is well now after the trip to the vet. But I had a scare with Ivanka she was given 4 injections and that evening she could not move her hind legs and could not walk. They inject a muscle in her back I didn't sleep at all on Monday night I was scared she might die or loose the babies luckily she is back to her old self and am I glad now. Thanks for all your feed back Jen it helps to talk to some one who understands.

Reply to Yorkie Mom
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/20

Please take her off milk products straight away. If tummy is running no milk. Rice and boiled chicken would be all I would give her and no gravy. I would go as far as making a teaspoon of maizene in water that I have boiled and allowed to cool and try and get her to eat this with a little bit of meat. (\a bit of old wives tale) I have noted that it does help. I would feed her the chicken and rice for a good couple of days and then start to introduce the pellets back in. How far is she. remember at the last 10 days you should start to feed her with some baby pellets as well to give her a boost. she will be looking for more food and I feed my 3 times a day towards the last 10 days. they just need to have a bit more food not rich food. all the best. I cannot post at work so I have come home to ask you to take her off milk ASAP.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Yorkie Mom | 2007/08/19

Yes Thats what I'm doing now keep them apart. But while the one problem is solved the next arrive!! The one that's pregnant has now developt a runny tummy and nothing seems to work my vet can only see me tomorrow and I am quite stressed about it. I dont want to loose the babies so now I give her chicken and macaroni with plain yoghurt. Hopes this help till tomorrow. I wish there where a first aid kit for dogs that you can stock up on there meds!!!

Reply to Yorkie Mom
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/19

I have one that is a problem when she is preg and I have to watch her like a hawk. The hormones are running wild with them. I would suggest that you keep them apart as much as possible over this period as you could hurt the little ones and it is unnessary to for this to happen at this time of her pregnacy. Dont make a fuss of either on of them at all as this also triggers them off. I would also not leave them alone as there could be a fight when you are not there. I do not leave my two together from the first bad vibe. If I go to the shop they get put into seperate rooms and if i walk out I take one out and then the other one. It is quiet difficult to separate them and they also will and can give you a nice nip as well. So bottom line separate them. I find that mine settles down about a week or 2 after she has had her little ones then the other on can come in and sit on the bed and watch and then at 3 week she is welcome to take over and feed them if she so wishes. After keeping them apart to this is something, but it is not to say yours will be the same so be very careful she could kill your other dog so you will have to be very observant. She is only protecting what is hers and PMS has kicked in HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/18

Are you a breeder? As a breeder you should be aware that a pregnant bitch and an unspayed bitch (?) are going to cause problems.

If you arent a breeder may I suggest spaying the little angels and getting them trained! Even small dogs need training ....

In the meantime keep them seperated to prevent trauma to mom.

Reply to Carol