Question
Posted by: Fatty | 2007/02/23

Fighting the flab

Hi Fitness doc

I have recently lost 24kgs over a year (so it has been slow) and now weigh 62 kgs, 1.63m tall, and can fit into a size 10. I have seen a dietician and she has advised to go down to 58kgs to fine tune and get rid of the last bit of fat, taking my bmi to somewhere near 22 I think. I have at least 2.5inches of flab on my upper arms and a lots of flab on my butt and thighs. The flab is driving me insane and I find it difficult to see that it should still be there if I can get into a size 10 clothing. Will 4kgs be enough to loose to get rid of this flab? I am currently doing aerobics 4x week and every time we do triceps with weights and bands.

Fatty

Hi Fatty

You may be able to lose a few more kilograms, but using simply your BMI, you are already in what is considered the ideal range. So while i see where the dietician is coming from, I'm not 100% convinced that you need to worry too much about any more weight loss. I would say that your goal should be to get fitter and stronger, and forget about weight for now. I realise there is flab, but this is very difficult to combat and it's the most common problem people have. So it will require a lot more time and a lot more effort to overcome this.

Now in terms of your training, it's difficult to say what you should be doing because I don't really know what you are doing now, apart from aerobics and weights. I would say that you need to probably increase the weight training intensity, because a lot of people do very slow and very easy weight work, which is fine, but my opinion is always that weight training for weight loss should be very much like a cardio session. In otherwords, you should leave the gym really feeling like you've done a cardio session - that means using light weights, but lifting fast and keeping everything very rapid and dynamic, if you follow my reasoning. And I'm not sure that the static exercise many people follow is ideal for this.

Other than this, it does seem you are on the right track and you just need to keep training, keep eating well and it will eventually come. Focus on getting fitter, not losing weight, because a fit person just naturally tends to look good.