Question
Posted by: Problem | 2004/10/08

Fibromyalgis

Do you have any remedy that I can use for Fibromyalgis?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I don’t have any remedies other than the standard advice: follow a nutritious diet, get regular aerobic exercise (but don’t overdo it so that it worsens your symptoms), manage stress levels, get enough rest and (somewhat less standard) avoid polluted environments. Perhaps most importantly: find a health professional who is knowledgable and sympathetic about the condition. Fybromylagia is very tricky to diagnose and has similar symptoms to a number of other conditions, so it requires an expert to correctly identify it in the first place. It also often occurs together with other conditions, like depression, which may respond well to treatment. There are several treatment options, e.g. pain medication and physiotherapy, that may help with fibromyalgia management, and you need a professional to advise you about these. It’s not always possible to find a suitable doctor, though, and, even if you do, you may have to do some sleuthing yourself. By this I mean keeping a journal of your lifestyle, medications, etc. to gain further insight into what triggers or worsens your symptoms. It’s also a good idea to stay up to date with any new information arising from recent studies into fibromyalgia, and to share experiences with other sufferers.

As regards possible environmental factors that may contribute to the condition, these remain unknown. However, research does suggest that various environmental toxins (such as pesticides) may play a role. People with fibromyalgia are more likely than the general population to suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, the controversial condition thought to be the result of hypersensitivity to the numerous chemicals in the environment. It might be worth experimenting with reducing the ‘load’ of chemical substances in your immediate environment, such as houshold cleaning products and cosmetics. Many people with fibromyalgia also report heightened sensitivity to various other environmental stimuli, such as certain odours, noises, bright lights and changes in the weather.

This is only one possible aspect to this complex condition, and other proposed causes/ triggers, such as viral infection and biochemical disturbances, may be far more important. I suggest posting this query to some of the other Health24 experts to get different perspectives.