Question
Posted by: Ntha | 2004/02/09

Fibroids and hysterectomy

Dear Dr. Gynaec.

I was just wondering after reading your responses to women who have problems related to fibroids that you always seem to recommend a hysterectomy.
Can I please know whether according to your professional assesment a hysterectomy is the only, absolute final solution for this problem? Why I'm asking this is because I'm one of those people who are suffering because of fibroids. My main problem is excessive bleeding. And to be honest I'm very skeptical about the removal of my uterus. But it seems that is the most recommended procedure. A number of individuals I have asked who have had this procedure done on them have complained about one problem or anpother ranging from sexual to physical and psychological such that I wonder if other procedures cant be applied. For example I have read about the Uterine Artery Embolisation which sounds quite appropriate for this problem seing that it is less traumatic. To be honest I feel the only reason I could remove my uterus would be if I had cancer. Other that that, I dont know whether its cultural or psychological, I'mstill of the opinion that an alternative metohd should be used. I think I would feel very uncomfortable without my
uterus.
Can I kindly request you and other ladies to provide me with their opinion on this issue.

Thanks Ntha

I have answered your question in your previous posting and also in your response to another question on fibroids.