Question
Posted by: Lisa.S | 2004/10/18

Fibroid removed, Gynae advised to have Ceasar, is this advise correct??

Hi Ladies

I had a myomectomy in Feb when a fibroid was removed, now my gynae advised me to rather have a ceaserean instead of normal birth. According to him the my uterus can rupture where the insicion was made. It sounds plausible, I just desperately wanted a normal birth. Is my gynae's advise sound, should I rather not take the risk with normal birth. How was the experience for those who had a ceasar? I want to be awake when my chid is born!!!!

Lisa.S

Your gynae`s advice is solid. There is a risk of uterine rupture if you labour. You can have a spinal and be awake when baby is born

3
Posted by: Penelope | 2004/10/18

Hi Lisa.S

A TRIAL LABOUR is where the medical fraternity will allow a pregnant woman who has had previous uterine surgery, e.g. a cone biopsy, etc to attempt a natural birth, where she will be very closely monitored while still in early labour, and if things aren't going well, there will be a standby team for an emergency caesarian section at worst.

The above approach is often adopted where a woman is carrying a breech baby, or is attempting to give birth vaginally after a previous caesarian section.

Reply to Penelope
Posted by: Lisa.S | 2004/10/18

Hi Penelope

Thanx for your reply, what is a trail labour?

Lisa.S

Reply to Lisa.S
Posted by: Penelope | 2004/10/18

I can understand your obstetrician's concern. Even when one has had a cone biopsy, (which is a smaller operation), one is advised to have a caesar.

Have you asked your gynae whether you could maybe have a Trial Labour? It may be worth finding out.

Reply to Penelope