Posted by: Sups | 2007/04/24

Fibroid removal options


The major question to the Doctor, "and I know its difficult to advise without seeing me as its just as difficult for me to commit to a procedure without first knowing the risks and options especially traveling abroad to find out it's not the right option" I can therefore tell you what I know from my visits to a local Physician/Gynecologist in South Africa.

1) I know that I have at least one, possible multiple fibroids in the wall of my uterus.
2) I know that at least one of the Fibroids is very large following an ultrasound by my local doctor.
3) I know that both my parents are diabetics although I am not
4) I know that when my mother had this operation some years ago she developed major heart failure and is barely alive at the age of 55
5) I know that my local doctor scares me with his advice of a total hysterectomy without concern for my recovery, as he seems to think that all after effects are "In the mind"
6) He tells me that I am the equivalent to a 14week old pregnant woman.
7) He wants me to sign for a full Hysterectomy leaving him to make the decision weather or not to remove the cervix.
8) He tells me it's easier for him, for me to have a full hysterectomy, as to leave the cervix would be high risk surgery.
7) He told me that he would have to make a vertical incision due to the size of the Fibroids.
8) He has told me that the procedure is for him to perform an abdominal Myomectomy.

Maybe you can understand my worries, so when I saw the alternative of non-invasive options, it obviously makes me favour this option, so if its safe and with minimal risk then surely this is the way forward. "OR NOT"?

Please help me with this decision.

Thanking you with all my sincerity.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

I am not sure what non-invasive methods you had in mind. I also don't know what your symptoms are. With a 14 week size uterus, you could just leave it and do nothing if it is not causing serious problems.
If you are in good health with no illnesses, one would not expect major complications from an anaesthetic. Presumably your mother's complications were related to her diabetes.
Myomectomies are far more difficult operations than a hysterectomy as the fibroid has to be cut out of the muscle of the uterus and torrential bleeding sometimes occurs. Your doctor has to ask you to sign for a hysterectomy in case this happens as you could bleed to death if this was not done in those circumstances. the same applies to leaving or keeping the cervix. It would depend how the fibroid has distorted the anatomy and what is safest to do. This can only be assessed at the time of surgery when everything can be clearly seen.
Good luck with your decision.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.