Question
Posted by: malinda | 2004/01/16

FIBRE DIDNT HELP ME

I have a phenomenon. I use to eat fibre of all sorts. Oats, hi-fibre bran, fibre drinks and blends etc. I have stopped doing this due to constipation. When eating things like oats it "bulks" in my stomach and because I'm a little constipated my stomach swells to a point where I look pregnant. I have stopped eating these kinds of foods, and in its place now eat poultry, wheat free rye breads, fat free cottage cheese, ostrich and lots of skimmed milk. I now go to the bathroom twice a day (both times in the morning within a hour of each other) which for me is wonderful. Why would this be happening. There is nothing wrong with the stool, its normal. I also don't get stomach pains and cramps like I use to. Any idea why?

Dear Malinda
You may have a wheat allergy or sensitivity, which could account for the swelling and other symptoms you experienced when using the standard anti-constipation products. If you have not had allergy tests done, it is difficult to say with certainty what component was causing the problem. It is also possible that you overdid the fibre treatment and that this was responsible for the problem. More is not always better. At present you seem to be eating a moderate amount of non-wheat fibre which your body can handle, which is excellent. Remember, it is always better to have allergy tests done so that you know for sure which foods you react to.
Glad you are feeling better.

1
Posted by: af | 2004/01/16

The same did happen to me and I went for the vega test. The test result was that I was "allergic to all weat products and also white flour and rice and corn outs etc.. I can only eat barley and buckwheat. Since I cut out all the above products the stomach cramps and swelling is gone and my bowel movements also improved.

Reply to af