Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2007/03/14

fibre bran

Dietdoc,I've lost 8.5 kg over the past 5 months and although I know it's very slow I know I can keep on losing with the way I'm eating now. Only one thing: I'm SO fed up with fibre bran for breakfast. I really hate the saw dust taste. Are there any other cereals that are as high in fibre, and low in fat, which tastes better? I try to stick to low GI foods (combined with low fat and relatively high protein foodstuffs), and see oats and maize are high GI, so I've avoided these two, and I also don't know whether they are high in fibre. I'm not sure about the muesli's on the market.

Dear Melanie
Firstly congratulations for losing those 8,5 kg - you are a***star***, and losing slowly with a balanced low-fat, low-GI diet is one of the very best methods. I have checked the SA GI Guide and they list the following breakfast cereals as being low-GI: Wholewheat Pronutro, SPP SD 605 Insta-Meal, Nature's Source range of low-GI muesli (mixed berries, orange and spices, apple and cinnamon), Fruitful All Bran Flakes (this would make a change!), Morning Harvest muesli by Bokomo, Pronutro original with fat-free milk, home-made muesli made with raw oats, oat bran, digestive bran, wheat germ and grated or dried apple.
Hope this helps